Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Many Faces of Chase

Have you ever pondered the meaning behind a name? Probably not since it’s such a random topic, but I realized the other day THREE of my crushes on various levels, including my current one, have had shared the name Chase. Interestingly enough, they have all been on the preppy side of the spectrum with trim builds and long wavy dark blonde/medium brown hair. A mere coincidence? I think not. After all what else can you expect from a boy’s name that is of English and Old French origin that means “hunter?” It was derived from the last name (surname) that translates to “huntsman.” I know, how WASPY, but from my (albeit limited) experience guys named Chase needed to be hunted or rather chased after.

Meet “Collegiate” Chase.


This picture captures the essence of Chase whom I met freshman year when we lived on the same hall. His roommate was in our “Breakfast Club” meaning that I saw lots of Chase. This motley crew was my innermost circle freshman year. The six of us all had 8:30AM classes so we met at the dining hall at 8 to commiserate over coffee and cereal. On the weekends we would cram into a claustrophobic dorm room to watch a movie and sleepover or we’d have DDR contests (Digital Dance Revolution, not exactly our finest hour) since first years couldn’t have cars on campus per university rules. We were behind the curve in that we didn't discover alcohol until sophomore year. Interesting fact: all three of the guys in the "club" including myself were closeted at this time. I’m the only one who has come out, the other two haven’t accepted themselves just yet. FYI, this was one of the salacious conversations that went down at the LGBT bbq where the general consensus confirmed my suspicions.

The guys in Breakfast Club were all from relatively conservative backgrounds, but none more so than Collegiate Chase. This Georgia Boy had a twang you wouldn’t believe and was about as southern as they come (red Mustang convertible with monogrammed vanity plates, Coke with every meal including breakfast, and a mother with blonde hair that defied gravity no doubt thanks to cans of hairspray.) As a sheltered only child he returned to his small North GA town every weekend to only return on Monday with brand new Polo outfits for the coming week. We liked to joke that he never did laundry!

I can still remember during orientation how I was taken with his deep tan, perfectly coiffed Farah Faucet hair, and his beyond outrageous preppy gear. If he doesn’t have skin cancer by our 20th class reunion I swear no one will! This Chase liked to model himself after Indiana Jones which I believe factored prominently into his decision to become an anthropology major. He even enjoyed looking the part these past two years with his Ray Ban Aviators and olive green felt wool hat a la Indy. My roommate had a crush on him this past semester, but I didn’t want to see her heartbroken so I told her about my reservations.

I digress, but check out the snarky sartorial commentary by clicking on the above photo. Preppy or just gay? Now that’s the question to ponder both for the model photographed and Chase's case. Tough call, but too many red flags in Chase's case.

Now meet “Celebrity” Chase.


Don’t ask me why, but this Chase (google Jesse Spencer) did it for me during the darkest days of my junior year. It was during this period last year when I finally started acknowledging my attraction to guys but was scared of losing the friends, accomplishments, and lifestyle that I had worked so hard to secure. This cute-as-a-button Chase was a safe target since there was obviously no risk involved. It allowed me to shamelessly acknowledge my feelings and make eye contact for longer than two miliseconds. I remember that I even found his character’s high maintenance if not downright prissy persona on House to be adorable. Perhaps that was naivete on my part because I couldn't differentiate purely physical attraction from the powerful mutual affection that forms the basis for relationships. I suppose most people tune in to to enjoy Dr. House’s (British comedian Hugh Laurie) cynical antics, but this budding mo was all about catching Celebrity Chase’s sexy blue eyes. I’m busted! Thankfully this dormant phase come to pass when I felt comfortable enough to start exploring the possibilities that surrounded me in real life. I slowly came out of the closet over the remainder of the year and this summer. Then a tangable Chase entered my life! Thanks Celebrity Chase for being there, you got me to accept myself for who I truly am without feeling ashamed and you gave me a taste for what it's like to truly be living.

Last but certainly not least, meet my current crush: Chase!


Pictures really can't do him justice because Chase has the most adorable smile that you have ever seen and he's full of life! He’s truly original in the sense that you really can’t really categorize him. Yours truly is hopelessly smitten by this tall, lanky Art History major with dark hair and a killer sense of style. Guys like this don’t stay on the market for long so moves need to be made NOW! A new POA (plan of action) is in place so I just need implement it and quit being so darn nervous to follow through. Wish me luck so that I have can share good tidings!

Oh, and have any of you guys noticed similarities between guys with the same name like this or is this just a freak occurrence? Do certain names do it for you more than others? I’m not necessarily a superstitious person, but it seems as though it might be a message. I let the other Chases slip through my hands, and I’m not about to let it happen again since life is much too short for missed opportunities.

On to the chase of the proverbial huntsman who’s waiting to be hunted!

No comments: